California State Trade and Export Promotion
The California State Trade and Export Promotion (California STEP) project leverages a statewide network of state, federal, private and non-profit trade promotion organizations to facilitate export promotion, activities, serving targeted industries, to drive exports for small businesses.
China Trade Office
In April 2013, Governor Brown officially opened the California-China Office of Trade and Investment (CCTO) in Shanghai. The CCTO serves California exporters seeking access to the Chinese market and receives Chinese investors looking for opportunities throughout California.
U.S. Commercial Service
The U.S. Commercial Service is the trade promotion arm of the U.S. Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration. U.S. Commercial Service trade professionals in over 100 U.S. cities and in more than 75 countries help U.S. companies get started in exporting or increase sales to new global markets. For more information, visit the U.S. government’s export portal.
Foreign Trade Zones
Foreign trade zones promote U.S. participation in trade and commerce by eliminating or reducing the unintended costs or obstacles associated with U.S. trade laws. Employment that might normally be shifted to a foreign country is thereby encouraged to remain in the United States.
Small Business Administration Exporting Assistance
SBA provides counseling, training and financing to support small business export opportunities.
Infrastructure Bank’s Export Financing Program
The Infrastructure Bank’s Export Financing Program helps provide loans to small businesses that sell goods in other countries through the Small Business Loan Guarantee Program.
The Export-Import Bank is the official export credit agency of the United States. Its mission is to ensure that U.S. companies, both large and small, have access to the financing they need to turn export opportunities into sales.
Small Business Administration Export Loans
The Small Business Administration provides a variety of loan programs specifically designed to help develop or expand export activities.
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection: Importing – Licenses/Permits
- U.S. Department of Commerce: Export License – Commerce Control List
- U.S. Department of Agriculture: Exporting Goods
- U.S. Department of Agriculture: Importing Goods
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Importing Food Products into the U.S.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Exporting Food Products from the U.S.
- CA Department of Tax and Fee Administration: Sales and Use Tax – Interstate and Foreign Commerce
- CA Department of Public Health: Food and Drug Branch Export Document Program
- CA Department of Food and Agriculture: California State Trade Export Program
The Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz) serves as the State of California's leader for job growth and economic development efforts. GO-Biz partnered with the State's Information Technology Leadership Academy 22 to create the California Business Portal.